Old May 28th 08, 09:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Neil Hoskins

Default History Channel

"GC" wrote in message
A question to the group.
Is the History channel distorting the facts?
I have noticed in recent weeks a number of totally incorrect comments .eg
Americans landing in Rabaul during WW2,(its Rab owl by the way not Rab
all)

Don't know.

The shooting down of Yamamoto's aircraft was an assassination..

Arguably. When they tried to target Sadam during the invasion of Iraq there
was some discussion of this. It turns out that Churchill was reluctant to
assassinate Hitler. Think about it: if it was legal for the USAF to attempt
to take out Saddam, would it also be legal for the Iraqi insurgents to send
a suicide bomber to London to target Blair? You have to be very careful
with the law and "OK" doesn't always equate to "legal".

B17's being used during the day in Europe as they were precision bombers
not carpet bombers as the RAF were ?

Covered better than I could do by Robert. Personally, I feel very
uncomfortable when the Dams Raid is celebrated: it did very little to hamper
German industry but did kill an awful number of civilians; largely French
slave labourers IIRC. Arguably a terrorist attack.

Revisionist history should, in my view, like all forms of debate, be
encouraged. My own approach, though, is to keep my voice down when the
people who lived through it are still around. By modern standards, Harris's
"reap the whirlwind" policy was terrorist and genocidal, but then again, my
parents lived through the blitz, lost friends, saw civilian bodies being
dragged out of bombed buildings, etc, and therefore have a completely
different point of view.