Old July 13th 06, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

Default The Joys of Aircraft Ownership 1,532 & 1,533

Brock Boss wrote:

Sorry for the long post, just thought this might be interesting to
share.

Man, I am right there with you, brother. If it is any consolation, I was
returning from Denver last week when the starter in my Bonanza went (made
noises and could not even turn the prop 1/4 a turn) on the ground at a
small airport far from home with no mechanic on the field.

Of course, this happened on a Friday night (never mind the 150 or more
flights I took last year commuting to work between two big airports), so a
stay-over at a local roach motel, which ended up screwing us in the
supposed "airport negotiated rate," was mandated. This is the real risk in
picking a podunk airport to refuel.

Called a friend on Saturday to see if he would be willing to fly the 3.5
hours one way, 7 hours round trip in another Bonanza to pick up my father,
two boys, and me, along with the important luggage. Thankfully, he was,
but I still had to pay for the rental of the aircraft, fuel, two rooms for
one night, etc.

Not counting the maintenance on the starter, I am already down almost US
$1,000 for this "hiccup" and counting, as I have still to arrange to fly
back to this little airport and pick up my airplane.

If there ever was a time where I felt like I should just sell and get out
of aviation, that Friday night was it.

--
Peter