Old October 3rd 03, 04:49 PM

"Fred E. Pate" wrote:

Yup. The Corvallis VOR is more than 30 nm away. I don't know the specific requirements for defining a FAF, but 30 nm is the limit for designing an approach using the VOR as the primary navigation source.

Interesting wording in the note, though. I've always thought of the DME figure as an alternate way to locate the intersection, not as a separate DME fix of the same name as the intersection.

It makes sense after you guys explain it, but I would have been confused as well.

Here is an explanation from a manager at the National Flight Procedures Office:

In the AIM, Pilot/Controller Glossary is:

INTERSECTION-

a. A point defined by any combination of courses, radials, or bearings of
two or more navigational aids.

b. Used to describe the point where two runways, a runway and a taxiway,
or two taxiways cross or meet.

Naturally, the a. definition is what we're referring to, and further the
Notice to Airmen Publication (NTAP) uses "INT" as the abbreviation for