Old April 24th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Avgas Where is the ceiling?

On 2006-04-24, Roger wrote:
both with the latter being the most likely. I think though that the
bio fuels will probably outdo the Hydrogen overall in the big
picture.. It's easier to increase trucking incrementally than it is to
increase the power grid.

I think a lot of the hydrogen advocates are missing the massive change
to infrastructure needed - we would need:

- new cars

Average turnover is five years.

- new filling stations

Like when we went to unleaded from Regular and "Hi Test"?

- new transport
- new ways of storage (I'm sure keeping hydrogen as a cryogenic liquid
is just not gonna work for everyday cars and trucks)

Like when we went from coal to whale oil to petro-based oils...?

For biodiesels (some forms of algae can be used to make 10,000 US
gallons of biofuel per acre, and it can be done in a more closed system
to keep evaporation of water losses to a minimum) you don't need to
change the infrastructure. Biodiesel will work in existing diesel trucks
and cars, and the same filling stations can be used, and the same
tankers can be used as is for conventional dino-diesel.

Isn't it great, the inventiveness and creativity of the unfettered human
mind?

Of course, the problem to be solved is that it might be Halliburton that
comes up with the solution. Can't have that now, right?

Also, whoever solves the problem will become fabulously rich and foster
untold envy.

--
Matt