Old March 24th 08, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Adam

Default Terra TPX 720 battery question

On Mar 22, 6:32 pm, wrote:
I have an old TPX 720 handheld radio. It was sitting for 20 + years
and the rechargable batteries were shot. They are 1.2 v nicads, 10 of
them. Before I go out and buy more, does anyone know if I can just
put regular aa cells in it to see if it works? The nicads are 12
volts total, and the dry cells would be 15. I don't want to fry the
radio.

Thanks

Kurt

Hook it up to a car battery to test it.

I rebuilt my 700 mah, 10 cell Delcom handheld radio battery pack with
new 2200 mah nimh batts. Got them from Ebay for $1 each. They are
green with solder tabs on them. So far they work very well, take the
2200mah as advertised, and power the radio for at least 12 hours. You
can get them with or without solder tabs. Be sure to check the
dimension of your AA cell before buying a replacement.

/Adam