Old February 17th 04, 08:42 AM
John Keeney

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message

"Jack Linthicum" wrote in message
om...
I have a question: what was/is the policy on use of ANG airplanes? I
have seen several bios that stated George Bush used an F-102 to fly to
Florida for a plant business he was involved in. I presume he did the
usual flight plan and landed at a military installation. What would
be the policy, local or ANG, to a Guard pilot using one of the unit's
planes for something not demonstrably Guard duty? And does/did it
happen as a regular thing?

It was demonstrably Guard duty, in all likelihood. Pilots had to fly

certain
hours, and often the destinations were left up to them. My brother

returned
from Vietnam and flew Hueys for the ARNG; he flew down to the airport near
our house on one flight so we could come out and meet his crew and look

over
the helo. On another occasion he flew a few orbits over a Little League
baseball game I was playing in. Hours were hours, unless they were

scheduled
to participate in some kind of collective training event. I believe AC
pilots sometimes do the same thing, even today--there was a case a few

years
back where an F-14 pilot flew back to his hometown, landed and met his
family, then departed and tragically piled it in.

Sure, last summer there was an Apache pilot who apparently had
friends/family/business in the local area and flew down once a
week for a month or more.
There are frequently various military aircraft in the transient area
of the airport: fighters, trainers and more often Prowlers than you
might guess.
When you training requires you rack up those miles going *some
where*, you might as well make it a worth while trip.