Old April 18th 19, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Default Undershoot Vs. Overshoot airport landing accidents

‘No 360s please. That has disaster written all over it.’ T8

Disagree once the pilot is proficient and not a student. I consider a 360 circling pattern to an off field landing preferable, especially when field elevation is unsure.
S K makes a mistake, to ‘Preach’ to him not to use a proven technique to improve knowledge of the field condition because some can’t make a coordinated turn below 1000’ agl a bit of snake handling.

Hi Henry:

There's nothing wrong with a 360 degree pattern (that is, one that completely encloses the landing area). The 360 I am taking issue with is the tight 360 that happens on final because the pilot thinks he's hopelessly high. As previously noted, better solutions exist.

best,
Evan