Old November 17th 06, 06:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

Default Progressive lenses OK for pilots?

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 00:01:29 -0600, Greg B wrote:
I took the no-line bifocals back and got regular tri-focals now and they
work great, for me, for reading, working on the computers, driving and
flying. The top major part of these trifocals is mostly clear. The first
magnification works well for reading the computer monitors at about arms
length. The bottom is for reading closer up.

It kind of depends upon your prescription and what your typical viewing
tasks might be... I had the progressives on my last prescription... The
problem that I encountered was that the prescription needed for looking at
a computer monitor was down towards the bottom of the lenses and as such,
I would spend most of the day with my head tilted back... For me, this
tended to result in a strain in the neck muscles towards the rear of the
head near the shoulders... I had a large set of lenses, so I had plenty of
glass to work with for the variation in the prescription as it goes
from the top of the lense to the bottom... When you first get them, you
will find your head going up and down as you try to find the sweet spot
for focus... After awhile, you don't notice yourself doing it anymore --
that doesn't mean that you don't do it, but it gets more automatic so you
don't notice it... These days, I have two prescriptions for two sets of
glasses... For one, it is a moderate prescription that is best for
computer monitor distances... For the other, it is for far vision... For
really close vision, I can just take my glasses off and see ok... My
eyesight hasn't gotten so bad that I need a '+' diopter for my near vision
at least... Sometimes I forget and wear the wrong glasses when I'm
driving... Things are a bit more blurry at a distance, but it's better
than not having any glasses on...

One additional thing that I have noticed though is that the older glasses
were better for riding a motorcycle since the larger lenses blocked more
of the wind from hitting your eyes... My new glasses have lenses that are
probably half as high as the previous glasses...

--
"Is it possible for the voices in my head to use email from now on?"