Old April 25th 04, 03:37 AM
Snowbird

Jon Kraus wrote in message ...
Thanks Bob... I figured the same thing... I hear that most people have
never been asked to hold anywhere... how about you? JK

On my first flight as PIC under IFR, I was #3 for the approach into
a non-towered airport in Center airspace. No radio comms with Center
once you start to descend inbound from the FAF, have to cancel on the
ground through FSS. Layer from about 1000 AGL to 4000 AGL.

Think I had to hold? Oh, yes, and let's not get sloppy either,
planes over and under me.

I think it all depends upon where you fly. If you're flying all the
time into airports where radar conditions permit vectors to final,
seems a lot of controllers just send you all over the sky instead
of issuing holds (though I think you'll still get 'em if the weather
is truly bad).

OTOH, if you're flying a lot where vectors to final aren't an option
but the airport sees a fair bit of traffic, holding shouldn't come
as a shock any time the wx makes an IAP necessary. I'll be surprised
if I go through the year without another hold.

And frankly, I'd rather just hold than get vectored all over creation,
told to circle a couple times, that kind of thing. If I hold with an
EFC time and I lose comm, I know where I am, what I'm supposed to
do, and when I'm supposed to do it.

Cheers,
Sydney