Old August 30th 04, 03:49 AM
Michael Wise

In article ,
nt (Krztalizer) wrote:

... During 1980, there were few opportunities to cross paths with
subs and in those few cases, our S-3s suffered an embarrassingly common main
computer dump. It was brutally common, and each time, it 'mission killed'
the Viking.

This, I am very curious about. During several of the multi-platform ASW
ops I flew on in the mid 80's (84-87), the S-3's experienced computer
data dumps and withdrew from the ex. I have to wonder how this problem
could have been left to remain chronic for so many years (given that you
saw it a lot years earlier)? Was the cause ever determined?

...wondering when we'll ever get OUT of the Mideast for good - leave that region
to the people who want it, if we would pour every resource into finding
alternatives to fossil fuels.

This ain't gonna happen as long as the big oil companies (and the people
in power they are in bed with) continue to poor money ("lobbying") our
government to thwart or slow down usage and even examination of
alternate energy sources or do things like give tax breaks to people who
buy gas-guzzling SUV's.

...The last thing the Skipper ordered before we left Norfolk was all liberty boats be removed. Not
needed for this one.

You guys had liberty boats?? Every port we ever went to where we needed
to go ashore via boat, the boats were always of the local chartered
ilk...and not always seemingly seaworthy. I can't recall ever having
used a boat from Mother.

--Mike