Old October 22nd 09, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

Default VFR into IMC and almost into terrain - on video

On Oct 21, 10:57*pm, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article ,

*"Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote:
"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
. ..
I wonder if the feds will or can use this video as evidence against the
pilot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nm8pNgqBAk

HOLY CRAP! That is an amazing piece of video there.

I would file that under "Stupid Pilot Tricks."

BTW: What happened to the L-39 that started out in formation with them?
He was on the left, so he should have gotten a front-row seat to the
action.

--
Remove _'s *from email address to talk to me.

I doubt there were two pilots stupid enough to be formation flying in
the soup! Does anyone know if the L 39 was IFR?

There's another strange thing about the video -- if you watch the
pilot when he's lost visual reference, he 'presents' as calm as any of
us rated on instruments might be in the clouds. He clearly was not
looking left for the L 39. Wouldn't you think most guys flying that
equipment would be rated for instruments and simply know better than
to do that?

Often the threads here have to do with marginal improvements in safe
flying: fine tuning for guys who are already pretty safe pilots. It
scares me to know there are clowns like this guy sharing our airspace.
Controlled flight into the ground harms him and his pax -- he could
also wander onto my airway. I want him out of my sky!