Old November 1st 09, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
vaughn[_2_]

Default Marines / Coast Guard mishap

"MarkyGA" wrote in message
I just read on an aviation blog that one or more of the pilots were wearing
night goggles, which makes it hard to see other traffic in the area. So
lemme ask this question... shouldn't at least ONE of the other crew members
NOT be wearing night goggles??

How many of you pilots out there have been asked to act as a safety pilot
for another pilot flying under the hood? When I was asked to do it, I knew
that it was up to me to make DARN SURE that there was no other traffic in
the vicinity. Our very lives depended on it. The thought of wearing
anything that would impede my vision was unthinkable.

It is continually amazing to me how many Internet "experts" are willing to
jump to conclusions about an aviation accident after wildly extrapolating
from fragmentary and questionable media articles published immediately after
an accident.. It take a while for the real information to come out! Only
then can we have an intelligent discussion about the accident from which we
can hopefully learn something.

I don't know about you, but I am willing to wait.

Vaughn