Old August 7th 03, 12:32 AM
BTIZ

my ICOM A-22 has a battery pack that holds 10 AA batteries, and no problems,
lasts about a 5 hr day of soaring. I use a 1500mAh NiMH pack and carry the
AA battery pack as a back-up when I forget to charge the NiMH.

The NiMH will last for days..

BT

"Ross Oliver" wrote in message

I recently purchased an Icom A23 Sport handheld transceiver, which
uses 6 AA alkaline batteries rather than the rechargable NiCad.
I chose the Sport model because I plan to use it primarily as an
emergency backup, the alkalines will hold a charge much longer than
the NiCads. The radio receives great, but it will not transmit
at all. Even with brand new name-brand batteries, the "low battery"
warning comes on as soon as I key the PTT, and the transmission is
so badly clipped that it is unreadable. I'm guessing that the alkalines
simply cannot provide enough current to adequately power the transmitter.

Has anyone else tried transmitting using a handheld powered by alkalines,
either the A23 or any of the other brands? I'm thinking about trying the
Sporty's model next. It uses 8 AA rather than the A23's 6.

Ross Oliver