Old August 7th 03, 12:38 AM
Morgans

"Chris W" wrote in message
Jim Weir wrote:

Alkalines have a problem when you get to the power levels we are talking

about
for transmit. They last a mercifully short time in most HTs. We've

found that
popping for the NiMH cells is far better from a time and life point of

view.

For an emergency only radio, NiMH are about the worst battery to use.

They have a
self discharge rate of 10% per day. The Lithium Ions are the next best

then
NiCd. Of course the self discharge rate of alkaline batteries are a lot

better
than any of the rechargeable but they don't do well with high current

loads that
some electronic equipment need. The non rechargeable Lithium batteries

are the
best in that regard, they last a long time, lowest self discharge rate of

any
battery and they can take the high current loads, the only down side is

they are
expensive, especially if you go to the corner drug store where they some

times will
charge $8 or more each, if you look around on the internet you can get

them for
less than $2 each. Of course that doesn't do much good if your radio

doesn't have
a pack that will take the CR123 lithium batteries.

--
Chris Woodhouse
Oklahoma City

"They that can give up essential liberty
to obtain a little temporary safety

Chris, can you quote a source on the 10% discharge per day on the NiMH? I
have not found that to be the case.
--
---Jim in NC---