Old July 18th 03, 02:48 AM
Bob Gardner

Considering the pace at which the FAA moves, if a new technology was
developed tomorrow, it would be ten to fifteen years before they even began
to study it.

Bob Gardner

"Richard Kaplan" wrote in message

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
et...

As I indicated in a post in the other WAAS thread, there is no apparent
intent to decommission all navaids except GPS through at least 2020.

Well, put into that perspective, consider how accurate predictions in 1986
would have been about the status of the national airspace system today.
This would be sort of like predicting the federal budget or national debt

or
the Dow Jones Average in 2020.

What is to say some other new navaid technology won't come up before 2020?

A much bigger worry is probably whether 100LL will be available in 2020.

In other words, all this discussion about GPS as sole nav really is not
worth considering and we should all just go planning for both ground-based
and GPS navigation for the foreseeable future, in fact for many of this
group probably for the rest of their flying lives.

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com