Old August 1st 20, 08:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default inverted Schweizer towhook

Tow....@gmail,

I see that I did not address this portion of your question, my apologies....

"To make it clear, I'm asking about a Pawnee that already has a Schweizer hook installed.....what paperwork will it take to invert it?"

If this were me wanting to invert the hitch I would persue a field approval to do so.
I would use the 43.13 data that guides the installation for the hitch and present to the FAA that an inverted hitch is obviously considered to operate correctly on an aircraft because 43.13 clearly accepts its inverted use for tricycle gear aircraft.
Show them how your inverted installation will be completed and how it meets all the other clearance and strength requirements contained in 43.13. State the improved safety reasons as why you want to make this change.

Charles attached the ac 43-210a guidance on persuing a field approval in a previous post above, it is good.

If you do this for your aircraft the paperwork is clean and all controversy for this installation is removed.
If you do invert it by simply stating 43.13 as the reference, you will always be opened to opposing views.

If its inverted, a towing accident happens and my name is documented as having put it inverted on a Pawnee....I personally want as little controversially documentation as possible.