Old March 16th 04, 02:44 PM
James M. Knox

(JDupre5762) wrote in
:

Not to mention prohibition against soldering (unless absolutely
unavoidable) that most A&Ps have been taught.

I was never prohibited from soldering and spent hours doing it.
Granted this was 20 years ago.

There is still no prohibition against it. I went through the
"maintenance procedures" manual last night, and soldering certainly gets
short shift... but nothing prohibits it. Reading more recent articles,
soldering appears about as common as crimping (not saying it is done as
often, but rather that the two are simply considered both standard
methods for making electrical connections).

Crimping is still favored because, with the right tool, almost any moron
can do a good crimp. Soldering is like crimping without an automatic
tool - can be done just fine, but requires someone who knows what they
are doing. [But isn't that what we wish regardless?]

The key is good quality workmanship on the connection, with adequate
strain relief and anti-vibration bundling as necessary. Done right, ANY
good connection should last a lifetime.

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331