Old August 17th 04, 09:13 AM
BHelman

Default Budget Traffic Avoidance

I was at Oshkosh this year and got to see Surecheck's latest collision
avoidance device they call the "TS Micro" which is a simple LED bar
graph display of traffic proximity. It is really tiny, and obvious
why they chose the name Micro. It is only $250 and gives just range
information under 20,000 feet. I asked Alan why they developed this,
and he said they had a lot of requests from pilots on a budget to
produce something small and affordable. It doesn't give you altitude
like the VRX, which I have, but it does give you range to give you a
"heads up" for a reasonable price. They took it outon to the
flightline with me and demonstrated it, and it did show traffic on
final exactly as you would expect.

In all fairness, I have become friends with people in Surecheck and
think they are a class act. I enjoyed getting to spend some time with
them at EAA this year as well. I will say this, they are extremely
devoted to collision avoidance. These people live, sleep, and eat
while discussing it.