Old December 8th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert Chambers

Default IFR Cancellation Question

Or unless you cancel in the air which is sometimes easier to do at a
field with no RCO or a tower that is closed.

You can also cancel in the air to help people out, I've been on an IFR
plan (but by the time I was approaching the field was VFR conditions)
and I heard a Jet at the hold short "ready for release" the tower said
"I have one IFR arrival inbound, expect a 3 minute delay" once that was
acknowledged I said "N1234 is cancelling IFR at this time" got the
cancellation and they released the jet to go before I got there. The
jet jockey (which surprised me) threw me a thank you before he got
switched over to approach.

Anything to make the system work that makes sense is ok in my book.

A Lieberma wrote:
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in
ink.net:

"A Lieberma" wrote in message
8.18...

For IFR handling, approach would hold me to tower frequency and
cancellation of IFR is terminated once wheels touch terra firma is
what I was lead to believe. Surely they wouldn't (or couldn't)
terminate radar services before having me contact tower at a
controlled airport?

They would if the tower had no radar.

Ok, makes sense on the radar services being terminated, but the IFR
clearance still applies for airspace seperation?

IFR would be then cancelled once wheels touch ground???

Allen