Old December 8th 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

Default IFR Cancellation Question

On 12/08/06 13:54, Roy Smith wrote:
A Lieberma wrote:
They would if the tower had no radar.

Ok, makes sense on the radar services being terminated, but the IFR
clearance still applies for airspace seperation?

IFR would be then cancelled once wheels touch ground???

At a towered airport without radar, you are still IFR until your wheels
touch the ground (assuming you don't cancel on your own). IFR separation
doesn't require radar contact. It doesn't even require radio contact.
Both of those just make it possible to apply more efficient methods of
achieving the required separation.

So I wonder if the confusion came when ATC told Allen to Squawk VFR?
This just means that you're no longer in radar contact, and not that
you're no longer IFR, right?

Or, are you supposed to maintain your transponder code until changed
by ATC or you cancel IFR - even if radar service is terminated?

I think the only thing that was missing in Allen's case was the
clearance to fly the visual approach.

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA