Old April 6th 07, 10:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Pete Brown

Default Wing Covers Pro/Cons

If you are tied down outside where it snows or frosts and you expect to
fly, you will need them.

Certain models are held on with bungees with wire hooks on the ends. Bad
idea, they will scratch. Use plastic hooks.

In high winds, the covers must be removed or you may damage metal skin,
paint, and/or fabric. The mesh covers will not keep the plane as clean
as the solid fabric covers but are much less prone to wind damage,
especially covers with spoilers. I keep my 170 outside all winter in
Anchorage and prefer the mesh and have used both.

All wing covers can be a real mess if it snows and then you get a freeze
and thaw cycle. You may need to wait until spring or find a warm hangar
to thaw them out.

If its cold enough to worry about snow and frost, you will likely need
an engine cover and preheat.

http://www.alaskawingcovers.com/
http://www.kennoncovers.com/wings.html
http://www.alaskatent.com/products/c...ver_photos.htm

Pete
Anchorage
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/168/4...a216d7bb75.jpg

TF wrote:
Just purchased my first plane and have it tied down. It has a canopy cover
but no wing covers. Walking around the airport I only notice one other
plane with wing covers. I would have thought wing covers would be good
protection. During the wnter the rentals would have them to prevent frost
but I didn't take notice of the others. Now that I have to worry about this
what's the story on the pro/cons of wing covers ?

Base in NJ.

Thanks.

--

Peter D. Brown