Old November 29th 15, 07:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Is FLARM helpful?

There seems to be some misunderstanding and dysfunctional response to Flarm alarms being described here. When an alarm sounds look out and scan fully and quickly (including above) rather than looking at the display first. If you see no glider that appears to be on a collision course you are in the same position as you would be if you didn't have Flarm but were being really attentive to see and avoid PLUS the other glider that you can't see is also getting an alarm and he can probably see you if you can't see him. People seem to forget in theur response to alerts that Flarm is two way and we are also giving out alarms.

Local soaring for my club is many gliders on the same short ridge soaring back and forth at similar altitudes and we can get several Flarm alerts per hour on a busy day. Sometines it isn't possible to tell which glider you're sharing an alert with. I rarely look at the display in gaggles and local hill soaring and if ahead and all around and above seems clear and the then I just make a slight deviation and trust that I am in the view of the other glider. Often alerts go away without me knowing where it came from. In this scenario, as in busy thermals, we Flarm equipped pilots are far better off by having our See and Avoid continually stimulated.

The problem is gliders that don't have Flarn and we had a collision between two of those on our ridge a couple of years ago.