Old October 18th 19, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Default 2019 SSA Contest Rules Pilot Opinion Poll Now Open

On Friday, October 18, 2019 at 4:06:42 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I'm all for going to FAI rules to help the top guys, provided we keep a 'run what ya brung' class with appropriate tasking for everyone that flies old junk. I imagine the 1-26 Nationals will keep doing what they do regardless. Possible/reasonable to go FAI for Nationals and the usual for Regionals?

It ain't that simple. "FAI rules" are quite broad.

For instance, we could run contests with the US scoring proposal, a start ring, a finish ring, no ground control, no team flying, it would be "all FAI, all the time", yet it would be completely different from wgc. Of course, my basic point is *any* us contest is going to be fundamentally different from wgc in ways much more significant than rules.

I -think- I support Andy's basic approach of adopting the FAI rules, adding in e.g. the safety finish and other bits that have super majority US support, *provided* we use the US scoring proposal instead of the idiotic (sorry....) existing FAI scoring formulae. Devil's in the details I suppose...

Evan Ludeman "T8"