Old December 3rd 19, 06:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default A Different Battery Question

On Friday, October 18, 2019 at 3:44:20 AM UTC-5, krasw wrote:
We charged LFP battery installed in glider using charger plug that feeds the battery via glider electrical system. We discovered that there was automatic breaker hidden in glider electrical system (DG DEI) that stole little bit of voltage. This caused charger to not charge battery to full. It seems that you cannot have automatic breakers between charger and battery.

KRASW - The voltage loss/drop across a breaker depends on the amp rating of the breaker. The smaller the rating the larger the drop.

For example, a small value 1A Tyco W32 breaker drops ~0.6Vdc. A 1A Klixon 7277 breaker can drop ~1Vdc! I always use a 5A or larger breaker. A clear case of "bigger is better".

See slides #95 for the full story at http://aviation.derosaweb.net/presen..._Made_Easy.pdf.