Old March 29th 20, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Soaring already DOA for the season???

I'm not a subscriber to WSJ (so I couldn't read the article), but my
concern throughout all of this is that nowhere have I seen, heard, or
read a plausible reason for these exceptional measures considering the
death tolls from previous epidemics and pandemics such as Bird Flu,
Swine Flu, Ebola, etc.Â* Sure, I'm being hygienic, and not joining public
gatherings, but the death tolls from the above mentioned diseases seem
to be to have been much higher and there was never any sort of panic
like that we're experiencing now.

Please, someone, make some sense of it to me.Â* And giving me panic
speeches about how bad it /could/ be in light of experience with
pandemics of the past 30 years or so won't carry much weight.

On 3/28/2020 8:19 PM, Duster wrote:
A more tempered, but plausible, opinion from the WSJ that’s worth a read:

Is the Coronavirus as Deadly as They Say?
Current estimates about the Covid-19 fatality rate may be too high by orders of magnitude. A universal quarantine may not be worth the costs it imposes on the economy, community and individual mental and physical health. We should undertake immediate steps to evaluate the empirical basis of the current lockdowns.

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/is-...ay-11585088464

--
Dan, 5J