Old December 13th 17, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

Default Akaflieg Karlsruhe AK-X

On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 03:30:19 +0000, Michael Opitz
wrote:

Thank you very much for the insights. If my father were still alive
today, he would be wanting to follow the progress very closely. The
aerodynamic genius of using the wing sweep to emulate canard
characteristics as opposed to using the sweep for high speed flight
is extremely intriguing. Being able to use current modern airfoils
while reducing drag considerably, should result in very noticeable
performance increases. Also, the advent of newer construction
materials and methods which enable the builders to achieve the
stiffness that is required to overcome other previous wing's
aeroelastic issues cannot be overstated.

Please post any progress updates here whenever you may hear of
them in the future....

I promise.
I happen to be at the Akaflieg Karlsruhe workshop two times per year
so with a little luck I can provide you with some updates if the
Akaflieg guys allow that.

But since we are talking:
Has your father ever talked about (or even flown) the Horten VI (the
24m glider)? I was always amazed that such a thing could be built in
the pre-carbon fibre aera.

There are a couple of reports about the IV, but I couldn't find any
halfways detailed source about the VI.

And, second question:
Do you know if the Horton guys aver considered winglets instead of the
drag ailerons?

Cheers
Andreas