Old April 5th 18, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Default Club Procedures for Late Day XC Flights

On Thursday, April 5, 2018 at 11:22:53 AM UTC-4, wrote:

As Evan said we've been debating the tracking issue at the club. My personal opinion is that cellphone-based tracking is fun and games but not a solution for the late-day retrieval nor much of a safety bonus. If somebody lands where there isn't cell service, then the tracking just stops somewhere and there is no way to know whether that pilot landed or not, is safe or not.

At 7pm (or any other time), you'll see one of three things from a cell phone track, a) a track still being laid down, b) a track that stopped for some reason at near ground level, c) a track that stopped for some reason at some much higher altitude. There is useful information here in all three cases.

-Evan / T8