Old November 6th 17, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Default ASW 20 Handling Issues?

Krasw, I've been thinking the same.
This was a period of pushing performance without as much consideration for things like handling, cockpit ergonomics and safety as there is in current models. Seems there was always something missing. Perhaps Gerhard did better with general handling than Klaus achieved in the Ventus A/B, but the Ventus had auto hook ups while the early 20s required connecting 7 L'Hotelliers.. The elevator became auto hook up in late 20B and all C model, or modification using Tech Note 29.
Rick Wagner had some mods for 20s that improved performance, including shortening of the flap at the root and aileron at the tip, a better wing root fairing, and a wingtip that looked like an LS4. His work was before we had winglets.
Sorry that the earliest Ventus I've flown was the C, which had lovely handling. The A/B without winglets seemed to have a reputation for needing to be flown all the time. The 20 A- B- and C- models I've flown all had great handling (pilot-glider relationship much like any other Schleicher) and personally didn't have any spin entry threat. One of them was a "Hobbs Special", but the high red line was only for the duration of the Worlds. None had winglets, which seem to improve characteristics near to stall speed.
I've been on both sides of this equation: ASW20 flying alongside ASW27. In the midrange there was no difference! One mistake in a 20 and you won't catch up, though.
The LS6 was the easiest to fly well of this vintage in my experience. Climbs full of ballast and outruns a 20. Not enough time alongside Ventus A/B or C at 15m. Once ran all day at Ely with a 15m V2 at the same wing loading.
Once swapped an original LS6B for one with the Flying Nun tips for a few days. Thought the biggest difference was in blocked visibility.
Jim

On Sunday, November 5, 2017 at 11:28:19 PM UTC-8, krasw wrote:

Talking about 20 handling, you would probably compare it to gliders similar vintage.