Old October 8th 04, 05:26 PM
Andy Durbin

Steve Hill wrote in message ...
A couple of years ago I purchased a brand new MicroAir 760 tranceiver. I
kept it in the box, planning on exchanging it, as my trusty old Dittel
FSG60m was starting to make funny noises and not quite act right...When the
Dittel finally gave up the ghost one day, I set to installing the MicroAir.
My first flight with the new radio was great other pilots said it was very
clear and easy to hear and be heard. And the next day...nothing. It just
quit allowing transmission. I can hear others, but can't reply.

snip
Any comments...?

Steve Hill
(DG-400)

Steve,

Many problems with Microair radios can be traced to poor connections
between the microprocessor and its socket. The microprocessor
controls just about everything in the radio and failure of one or more
pins to connect correctly can have a whole variety of effects. In my
case the radio stopped receiving and transmitting on the selected
frequency but it was in fact continuously scanning the whole com band
even thought the display said it was on one freq. My problem was
fixed by removing and reseating the microprocessor in accordance with
Microair service bulletin SB-003 which is available from their
website. The fix was easy and the total time to fix including removal
and replacement of the radio in the glider was in the order of 3
hours. I'd be a lot faster if I have to do it a second time. If you
are competent to handle static sensitive electronic components it's
not difficult to do, and a far better solution than sending the radio
back to Australia. Supposedly the new rev radios have a better
microprocessor socket.

Andy (GY)