Old December 31st 03, 08:39 PM
M. J. Powell

In message , "Gord
writes
"M. J. Powell" wrote:

In message , Cub Driver
writes

Engine noise was audible but the speech was perfectly clear.

The mike (or mic, as it for some reason is now spelled) on an aircraft
headset has a remarkable ability to filter out engine noise.

I should have remembered 'mic'. I spent 30 years in broadcasting!

While a
Continental 65 hp is nothing like a Lancaster engine, it is close to
the pilot and loud enough to deafen him over time, and to make
conversation very difficult. With a headset there is no audible engine
noise. (There's no push-to-talk on the intercom, so the mike in effect
is hot at all times.)

Yes, I remember from my time in Austers! Gliders are quiet though...

Mike

Aren't they though?...that always amazed me...they must have
super mufflers?

Yes. It's a bit worrying though when that hissing sound dies away....

Mike
--
M.J.Powell