View Single Post
Old February 13th 18, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Default MicroAir Radio problems...

To add to this (BTW, I need to follow up on one I did for you UH.....), yes, there is a sorta known issue of the main chip to its socket.
Proper cleaning can help.......proper cleaning followed by a "contact enhancer" works better long term.
The required fluid to make a longer term solution sorta moot is not cheap, but if you can line up a few fixes in the near term, the economics sorta work out.

I have a field service, electronics, high end stereo background. I did a "rehab" on one of Hanks radios a number of years ago, need to see how that is working vs. his other similar radio.
Yes, I fly both.
Yes, at times the MicroAirs sucked on transmit.
Had to do a text to my son at the airport once since I couldn't transmit but could receive. At least they knew where I was and where I was going.

Sorta end of story, late in the day, late climb over a forest fire by the Delaware water gap, more than 8K ASL in a -28, I was "local"....., long medium speed glide back to home.......early spring, so wringing out electrical issues, no glide computer, no steering, look out the window, guess miles home, figure 8 miles/thousand feet of altitude (40:1), mechanical vario, until I could watch the home field on the canopy.