Old June 6th 19, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default One-man rigging aids - is the electric up/down control worth it?

Lotta discussion about solo rigging. When I started doing it (with my LS-3) in 1981, I was usually the only pilot there with it. "Why?" was the puzzled question, "There's always someone around to help." Today, it seems the majority of pilots have some kind of self-rigging wingstand even though they don't always use it.

I had people around, too, but they weren't always thrilled about my 175 lbs.. LS-3 wings. Nor did my crews then (my younger sister and mother) stand up well to a nationals. I built a much refined version (called the "WingMate", which I sold for a few years until I ran out of time--maybe someday I'll pick it up again). I've been using it for my ASW-24 to solo rig since 1992.

As with any other decision, it helps to define what you want, including:

1. Do you want to be independent, or just take the load off your crewperson? (truly independent for me; I'm crewless at contests)
2. Can you keep the rigging equipment assembled, or do you have to store it in the trailer and set it up each time (each time for me, which is why mine folds in about 10 sec.)
3. Will you be rigging on a smooth, flat surface each time? (for me, often on uneven grass, almost never in the same spot, and even derigging in plowed fields occasionally, which is why mine doesn't really roll)
4. Is the goal to eliminate heavy lifting (spars) or just to allow solo rigging? (the latter for me; I don't have a problem lifting the spar end of the '24 wing. Mine isn't what many pilots want: i.e., a way to avoid picking up the spar. I do, however, have a problem lifting the early Cobra solo rigger when it's assembled--which is often the case since there are some clevis pins and safety pins required; I took one in trade on a WingMate and hurt my back lifting it out of my van)
5. Is it often windy when you rig/derig? (mine is a bit vulnerable to gusty winds so I will ask someone to stand by it just in case if the wind is up near 15 or 20 knots)
6. Do you have a typical Cobra/Komet-style trailer with a fuselage jack and spar butts that roll out on dollies? (as many have noted, adjusting the fuselage up/down eliminates much, though not all, of the fiddling to get the wingtip height correct)
7. Is speed of assembly a factor? (you can solo rig pretty well with some simple supports, including a foam roller and some wingstands; it just takes a longer. Setting up some of the complex riggers can take almost as long as it take me to self rig)
8. Do you really need it all the time, or is this just for the occasional "last pilot down" or "assembling first thing in the morning" situation? (I normally use mine every time because it's easier and doesn't usually take any longer)
9. Do you really need it at all? If you have an active club and/or a dedicated crew, you may not need/want to add the complexity.

Etc. The "powered vs. unpowered" argument is only relevant for a few of these requirements, including the requirement to show up with the most complex, innovative gadgets, whether or not they actually work.

Once you have your requirements fairly well defined, and some "edge cases" (e.g., you want to be able to hitch a ride back to the airport, then drive your trailer out to the plowed field and self retrieve yourself--which I've done), then you're ready to design/build/modify or buy a wingstand. Until then, you're just comparing gadgets and gee-whiz features. Make sure you know what you need. I see a lot of expensive solo wingstands that never seem to get used.

Chip Bearden
JB