Old June 6th 19, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default One-man rigging aids - is the electric up/down control worth it?

On Sunday, June 2, 2019 at 3:44:34 PM UTC+1, Paul Kaye wrote:
My new club seems to have a culture of rig in April and derig in October! Personally I prefer to rig and derig for each flight, unless I know that there is a run of several days good weather and I'm available to fly. I have covers (Cloud-dancers) but I really don't think they offer the protection against UV that is needed for leaving it outdoors for long periods.

Anyhow, as a consequence, it's not always easy to get help to rig/de-rig so I'm thinking of getting a on-man rigging aid. It seems that I can get one from IMI for about €900 that is manually-adjustable for height and sideways alignment, or I could pay around €1500 for an electrically-adjustable version. I'm happy to pay for the more expensive one, if it's worth it. So, if any of you have any experiences/opinions, I'd be happy to hear them!

Thanks in advance.

With a Cobra-style trailer a one man rigger can make the difference between being able to solo rig safely or not. Adding electrically adjustment simply takes a few minutes off the time taken and saves a few yards of walking. I would say that your first 900 euros buys at least 90% of the functionality and the additional 600 euros for the electrics would only add 10% at most.

The major variable in my rigging times are figuring out when, how much and in what direction to raise or lower the wing tips to get the pin/s in and not the actual doing of it. Also, it may well be the other wing that will need adjusted rather than the one with the electric rigger on it.