Old June 9th 19, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default One-man rigging aids - is the electric up/down control worth it?

On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 9:19:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Chip, not sure why you trash the powered wingriggers without any knowledge how much time, effort, bending over etc. they save? Just keep your quiet and and let people choose for themselves. I for one wouldn't want to go back to the old style and manual adjustments. As they say, to each his own and your mileage may vary.
Think positive, flaps negative! Herb

Herb, Herb, it was a joke. Just like your referring to those of us who aren't gaga over electric wing riggers as "girly luddites." You were joking, right?

I just wanted to encourage people to examine what they wanted to accomplish with a solo wingstand--and then buy/build what they need, not necessarily the most complex gadget out there. I designed my first solo rigger in 1982 and have assembled/disassembled nearly every time I've flow since then. I don't have my logbooks handy but I suspect that's around 1200 times. I've seen most of the riggers out there, including some of the powered ones. I even watched your YouTube film debut. Very nice, but let me know if you want to race for pink slips for real: i.e., drive up to wings and tail on. I regularly do that in 10 minutes, including the set up time for my wingstand (10 seconds).

But my wingstand isn't for everyone, just like yours isn't, because pilots have different requirements. Mine have changed over the years as I've used mine, as the glider changed (from an LS-3 to an ASW 24), and as I've aged.. Again, that was the point of my posting: know what you hope to accomplish and then make your decision.

Frankly, another device with motors, batteries, and remote controllers is the last thing I want to add to my soaring kit these days. But as you say, to each his (or her) own. Even us girly Luddites.

Chip Bearden

Yes, I missed the irony in your post, sorry about that, Chip. Also, I had never used 'girly luddites' in a note before and although it has a sexist streak, I thought it's too good to pass up. To each his own, as you say.