Old April 30th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Vector altitude for ILS below GS intercept altitude?

"M" wrote in message
oups.com...

Is it common for the approach controller to vector for an ILS at an
altitude below the GS intercept altitude on the IAP? Today is the
third time in the last year or so that Victoria terminal vectored me
for the ILS into BLI at 2000 feet, instead of 2100. I'm very familiar
with the area and I did not bother to question them.

The Canadian controllers provide approach service for Bellingham
probably from an agreement between FAA and NavCanada. Maybe the rules
are somewhat different in Canada, or they just don't have the right
information on this approach?

See http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0604/00045I16.PDF

US controllers in US airspace are required to vector aircraft to intercept
the localizer at an altitude not above the glideslope or below the minimum
glideslope intercept altitude specified on the approach plate.
Where control responsibility within Canadian airspace has been formally
delegated to the US by Canada, US controllers apply basic FAA procedures
with a few exceptions:

http://www.faa.gov/atpubs/ATC/Chp12/atc1201.html

It may be that what the Canadian controllers are doing is entirely proper
for Canada and the parts of the US where control responsibility has been
delegated to Canada.