Old May 30th 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Careless Linemen

Jim Logajan wrote in
:

"Al" wrote:
"karl gruber" wrote in message
Actually, in Oregon, it IS against the law to fuel your own airplane.
Can't fuel your own car either.

Karl
"Curator" N185KG

Really? Cite?

I can provide a citation that shows motorcycle drivers and pilots at
certain airports are exempt from Oregon's fuelish law:

"Exemptions to Oregon’s fueling laws allow certain individuals and
businesses to dispense Class 1 flammable liquids (gasoline). Those
exemptions a

1. Pilots may fuel their own aircraft at airports permitted by the
Oregon Department of Aviation.
2. Motorcyclists, operating their motorcycle, may handle the nozzle
dispense gasoline. If a motorcyclist wants to fuel their motorcycle,
the retail station attendant is required to activate the pump and hand
the nozzle to the motorcyclist. When the fueling is complete, the
motorcyclist is required to hand the nozzle back to the attendant to
deactivate the dispenser. A motorcyclist may not activate or deactivate
the fuel dispensing devices."

From:
http://www.oregon.gov/OOHS/SFM/Cardlock_Program.shtml

Thank you for that info. Although I like to turn off the pump
and then squeeze out the last drops before hanging up the nozzle.
I've seen enough fuel come out of the hose that way to get me
half a mile down the road!

Although I'd still be very reluctant to let anyone fuel my car
either. That'd be especially so if I had, say, a very expensive
car, something unique, a 'classic', etc....

Hell, what's the purpose of this insane law, anyway? Got any
info on that part?

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?