Old November 12th 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Kyle Boatright

Default UV Smooth Prime

"Doug Palmer" wrote in message
nk.net...
OK the rumors about UVSP have me paranoid now. I know some folks have had
nightmarish problems with this product but I am hopeing that there are
some success stories out there as well as it is still on the market. I
have been using UVSP on my project during the build and now extensively
during painting. I use it as the exclusive primer and have been spraying
Imron 5000 over the top, no sealer or additional primer. I have been
doing it this way as this is how, when I started using the product 4-5
years ago, polyfiber said it could be used. Reading Polyfibers website,
they NOW reccommend a epoxy primer over the UVSP, and they reccommend a 3
week dry time, using a dehumidifier! The underside was painted four years
or more ago and so far I have had no problems with blistering, flaking, or
fadeing but I have not had the plane out in the sun for any extended
periods. It is also an amphibian so I have some parts sitting in water,
so far no problems.

Soooo, my question is what are others experiences with UVSP, How did you
use it? How long have you had the paint in service? If you had problems,
how long did it take them to manifest themselves? Do you have any
theories why you had a problem?

If you have used it successfully Please fill us in, some positive stories
are welcome too!

Thanks

I used it on the cowl and a few other fiberglass parts on my RV-6. I assure
you there wasn't a 3 week cure time or a dehumidifier involved in the drying
process.

So far so good, and my airplane has been flying for 5.5 years. The cowling
was painted 6 years ago or more.

In the RV world, lots of people have had success with the product and a few
have had miserable experiences with no obvious explanation.

KB