Old November 15th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wallace Berry

Default UV Smooth Prime

In article ,
Richard Riley wrote:

On 13 Nov 2006 20:47:35 -0800, "abripl" wrote:

I applied UVSP on my composite in 2003 and toped it with PPG Acrylic
Urethane. No problem so far. My guess is that the combo of UVSP with
the same company Top Gloss had problems.

There are many reports of UVSP having problems under other top coats
as well. I personally know of failures (bubbles filled with ooze)
under Sterling LP, Imron and Chromasystems topcoats. It looks to be
about a 15-25% failure rate.

I saw a "bubbles filled with ooze" failure of Amerflint (like Imron I
think) over whatever was sold to us as the correct primer at the auto
paint store. This was on both the glass nose, cloth, and metal parts of
a 2-33. I think humidity was definitely a factor since we were painting
the bird in a mostly open garage on a rainy day.