Old March 4th 08, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Default Just two days left to try to stop an expensive and worthlessFAA mandate on ADS-B

K l e i n wrote:
On Mar 4, 2:36 pm, Gig 601XL Builder
wrote:
K l e i n wrote:

I'd be surprised if a complete GA market ADS-B Out/In system couldn't
be done for a couple thou.
K l e i n

You must be kidding yourself. What's the lowest priced IFR certified
GPS? Add to that the lowest price transmitter which all so must be
certified. Add to that what ever needs to be certified to receive the IN
side and display it. Finally add in the cost to certify the whole
thing together. Then pay to install it all.

I'm talking mainly about the cost of ADS-B Out. That unit pretty much
has no user interface at all. Could be a lump that installs
anywhere. Who says it has to be a full blown WAAS IFR GPS? I just
bought a gadget called a SPoT that has a GPS receiver and a Globalstar
compatible transmitter. Cost $135. It has essentially all the
functionality needed for a ADS-B Out. It only needs to transmit on a
slightly different frequency at a somewhat higher power. Are saying
it has to be built with 1980's technology??

If any one comes out with a certified ADS-B Out/In for $40K I'll be
surprised. Half that for out only if we are lucky.

Do you think this has to cost 10 X as much as a Garmin 496? I don't.
I bet Garmin doesn't think so either. Maybe less than 1X496. An Out
only box could cost far less.

K l e i n

While that may be what you think you are talking about you specifically
wrote, "I'd be surprised if a complete GA market ADS-B Out/In system
couldn't be done for a couple thou." But that's OK.

Well what makes you think it isn't going to have to be certified to at
least the level of a TSOd GPS? And what do you think the 496 would cost
if it were certified?