Old May 8th 15, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skywise

Default CAFE Electric Aircraft Symposium Set For May 1

Larry Dighera wrote in
:

I hadn't considered the explosive environment created by venting liquid
hydrogen. How is that dealt with by suppliers, laboratories and users
today?

Perhaps the venting H2 could be captured and run through the fuel-cell
and the resulting electric power stored in batteries for future use to
preclude the explosive atmosphere forming.

Just more equipment that can fail and adds weight and cost. I'm
sure the airlines would like that. Or, would you like that on
your car?

I'm wondering if the heat produced by a fuel-cell could be used to
change the liquid H2 into the gaseous phase, and if the resulting
cooling of the fuel-cell will contribute to its efficiency.

Why would you want to heat liquid H2? The reason tanks vent is
because it's boiling off. It's very difficult to insulate a tank
to LH2 temperatures, so some of it boils off. If you don't vent
it... KABOOOM!

Remember Challenger? That's what happens when the tank breaches.

Speaking of rockets, ever notice how they are constantly venting
while on the pad? They close the valves just before lift-off. If
the launch is delayed the valves are reopened to prevent too much
pressure from building. After launch it's not a problem because
the fuel is being consumed fast enough.

Personally, I find the whole argument on hydrogen as a replacement
for gasoline a joke. It's basic physics. So unless the laws of
physics go out the window.... Well, there are those who think
science and basic physics are a conspiracy to keep the truth from
being revealed... But I'm not assuming anyone here is in that camp.
Yet.

Brian
--
http://www.earthwaves.org/forum/index.php - Earth Sciences discussion