Old August 15th 08, 12:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
user

Default News flash: pilots are "allowed" to use supplemental oxygen

Yeah, seems silly, but at the next race if you discovered a competitor was
using a drug to counter fatigue, thereby increasing awareness and
performance, wouldn't you be a little annoyed? Following WADA mandates
allows ejection of the pilot without having to resort to federal regulatory
oversight (most useful performance enhancers are banned by FARs).

I like to use Os during competitions... regardless of height. I find it
keeps me alert. Add some caffeine and I'm ready to pa-ha-a-a-a-ar-tay! Glad
I'm no longer breaking any rules.

In fact, we may have a few more issues... given the median age of glider
pilots, we're probably ingesting all sorts of things that would get younger
sportsmen bounced out of the game. That said, maybe we should just open
soaring up to unfettered competition. Can you imagine? A grid full of
grey-haired, acne-prone mesomorphs snapping at their crews and each other
prior to the launch...

OK, maybe the whole thing is pretty silly.

wrote in message
On Aug 14, 10:40 pm, stephanevdv wrote:
WADA is the world organization against doping in sport. In most
countries, anti-doping laws are in effect and implement the rules laid
out by WADA. That means that as gliding is generally considered a
sport, and WADA considers supplemental oxygen as doping, a pilot could
be prosecuted for using it, even if air rules make it mandatory. That
contradiction has now officially been dealt with.

Bet they worked overtime to resolve this important and thorny issue.

Actually, I was contemplating setting a racing height limit of 12,500'
MSL so I could file a protest and have everyone ahead of me in the
standings disqualified - allowing me to pick up a championship or two.

9B