Old July 31st 03, 08:21 PM
Gary L. Drescher

"Peter R." wrote in message
ds.com...
Last night I flew an Angel Flight mission to Buffalo, NY from Northeast
Philadelphia.

When I arrived at the only FBO in Buffalo (Prior Aviation), I was

initially
told by the woman behind the counter that under NO circumstances are the
landing fees waived, Angel Flight or not. After politely asking her to
reconsider, she did wave the fees but admitted that she was going against
policy and for me not to expect it again. She then told me that the land
on which the Buffalo airport resides is owned by "the Transportation
Authority" or "Port Authority" and it is they who are responsible for the
fees.

This policy and the attitude of the FBO irked me. So far, everywhere I
have landed, including Boston's Logan airport and Baltimore Washington,
have happily waived landing fees up to $100 (US) *and* some even offered
fuel discounts for Angel Flights.

Have others encountered a no-wave policy?

I would hope that these FBOs are rare and that with a little pressure from
Angel Flight's main organization, FBOs such as Prior could be convinced to
forgo landing fee profits for charitable flights such as these.

AFNE's orientation material states that "many, but not all" FBOs waive
landing fees, so I always ask the FBO in advance. I've yet to find one that
doesn't waive, but I haven't flown many NGF missions so far.

--Gary

--
Peter