Old February 5th 05, 01:14 AM
John W. Galvin

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
Right. And it is my understanding, that the SR-22's parachute system
was installed solely to provide a means of spin recovery that was
otherwise unavailable in this aircraft.

Not true in a couple of senses. One of the founders of Cirrus Design was
lucky enough to survive a mid-air collision. That, and providing another
"out" for the pilot when all else fails were the primary impetus behind
making the chute standard equipment. The Cirrus is supposedly recoverable
in a spin, with one change from the usual procedu the yoke is supposed to
be moved briskly forward to the stop. For JAA certification Cirrus had to
do spin testing.

I have been away from the newsgroups for probably a year. Coming back,
there seems to be a remarkable amount of anti-Cirrus sentiment being voiced
here. I guess, reading this thread, I would have to attribute a lot of it
to envy. Certainly there seems to be a lot of knee-jerk unsubstantiated
criticism.

--Galvin