Old December 27th 05, 06:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Ok, so what did people get for Christmas?

My wife bought me the new Lightspeed Mach 1 Light-flight headset which I had
expressed that I'd love to try out sometime. She wanted me to open this
present before Christmas so we would know if this is indeed something I
wanted. I obliged and we flew with the new headset on Christmas-eve.

PIREP: They were light and they were comfortable, BUT the engine noise was
not attenuated enough for my tastes and therefore it was very noisy and
distracting. The radio sound was low and I had to struggle to hear all
communications. The music quality was tinny and missing all the low end
tones. After you finish flying and remove the plugs you realize you have a
fist full of fine wires and ear plugs that you don't know what to do with.
If you just put it down the wires get all tangled and require extra time and
care to untangle and organize. With a headset you simply remove it and
drape it on the yoke or throttle. Also, it is NOT a robust looking unit and
it appears to be VERY delicate and easily broken. The battery compartment
door is especially difficult to open, the battery requires a small tool to
remove, the clips that hold the battery in looks like they will break the
first time you change the battery. It would have been just a matter of
weeks, not months, before I broke some part of this thing. I couldn't
return it fast enough. I'm sure Lightspeed will stand behind this product
as they do all their wares, but the benefits of this unit did not out weigh
(no pun intended) it's shortcomings. YMMV.

Kobra