Old January 22nd 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dico

Default KNS-80 display has gone haywire...

Hello,

Our KNS-80 today wasn't 100%. Infact, for most of the day it was U/S.

Here is some background... today was cold...-15C (5F). I turned on the
heat in the hangar about 90 minutes before the flight so that the cabin
would get warm.

Once i started the plane and turned on the avionics master, i noticed
that the KNS-80 didn't work right. All the lights behind the numbers
were on and flickering... random garbage was just coming on the display
and changing about 5 times a second.

I left the unit on hoping that perhaps it would "heat up" and that was
the problem. After a long taxi the display finally stopped flickering
for about 10 minutes. I noticed during that time though that the NAV
flag would go in and out even though we were within 10 miles of the
VOR. Then all of a sudden, after about 5 minutes in the air, the
KNS-80 went back to flickering.

The unit seems seated properly -- it hasn't been removed at all.

Any thoughts?

-Dico