Old October 11th 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Whiting

Default Remos G3 demo and AOPA Expo (long)

Mike Isaksen wrote:
Gentlemen, I decided to re-post this on the owning group under its own
Subject line:

On the up side, I was very impressed with the Remos G3 LSA. The nearest comp
is the CT-SW, and the Remos G3 seems far more refined and stable in flight.
It did not display the CTs jittery or skittish handling at hi power/hi
speed, maybe the longer tailboom helps here (i didn't measure, but the CT
seems to have a short coupled tail section). The Remos G3 also did not need
as much rudder action at turn initiation, but it did use a good amount of
right rudder on climbout. We had tailwind on takeoff and landing, only about
5-7 kt, but the G3 was up at the first turnoff. I'm finding that these LSAs
are mostly overpowered with their 100hp rotaxs, and when the 80hp rotax gets
night approval it'll be plenty for most (lower octane fuel too). I basically
overcontrolled the G3 until I found out that 1 inch throw was more than
required for most maneuvers. After leveloff we did some slowflight and it
just floated along, with plenty of rudder to pick up either wing, and
straight ahead stall that was a little too benign. I mean that we got almost
no buffet, we were I'm guessing 15 deg nose high way below the white arc,
and at the break point it nosed over to about 15 deg nose down and I'm
flying again. Nothing really required on my part but to neutralize the
stick. I didn't get to try power on or accelerated stalls, I think they
would have revealed more. Thirty deg turns in either direction wanted just a
hint of rudder, and trimmed out I was able to release the stick without any
tendency to either level out or roll over further. I always thought planes
were suppose to roll back to level, this one just held its bank. I like
steep turns, but always add a bit of power and then still typically find
myself sliding off the wing with a need to shallow the bank at least once or
twice. Not with the Remos G3, it rolled in crisply and stopped the roll
promptly when I centered the stick (no over center required). She was rock
steady at 45 deg all the way around with mild stick back and no added power.
The light stick forces are a bit to get used to, especially if you're a
Beech guy fighting the springs all the time.

A little pricey, but at least the wing is on top where it is supposed
to be. Now if it just had a real aircraft engine!

I wonder how Cessna will sell the Skycatcher given its ridiculous useful
load capability. The biggest problem with an airplane like the G3 is
the availability of service and support. With Cessna that is pretty
much a given, but it is a risk with an airplane like this.

Matt