Old December 12th 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
John Szalay

Default 1967 Lightning strike crash?

Chris Wells wrote in
:

I'm reading some articles on aircraft lighgtning strikes, and most
mention an incident in 1967 when an airplane was brought down by
lightning; however I can't find info on this crash. Can anyone tell me
when & where this happened?

IIRC: that was a Cargo 747 over Spain

Here tis....

5) 09.05.76 () Boeing 747-131F
5-8104 (19677/73) Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force
17 fatalities / 17 occupants +
Location: Madrid; nr (Spain) Natu Freight
Phase: Descent from: to: Madrid-Torrejon AFB Flightnr.: ULF48
The aircraft was struck by lightning while descending through FL100 on
its way to Torrejon AFB. The explosion in the no.1 fuel tank which
followed caused severe damage to the left wing. 54 Seconds later the
left wing failed and freighter crashed. POSSIBLE CAUSE: Ignition of fuel
vapour in the ullage of the tank in the vicinity of a motor drive fuel
valve.
Source: FI 15.5.76(1283)

26/06/1959 Lombardia, Italy Lockheed 1549A TWA Hit by Lightning 68 dead

08/12/1963 Elkton, USA 707-121 Pan American World Airways Hit by
lightning 81 dead

http://dnausers.d-n-a.net/dnetGOJG/081263.htm