Old October 13th 03, 09:28 PM
Doug

For approaches I use WestCoastRailRoad
Weather, Clearance, Radios, and Review. I'll admit its a bit short of
being exhaustive. I also have an IFR checklist in the plane for
takeoff, cruise, arrival and approach phases. It IS exhaustive. As for
my clearance, everything goes into a radio or instrument. Frequecies
go into the radios, altitudes go into the altitude bug and headings go
into the heading bug and waypoints go into the GPS. Not a bad idea to
write them down also, but so long as my radios work, I can always ask.
The reality is I just keep a 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" (half) pad of paper and a
few pens in the plane and write down what I need on that. One of the
things I do have is a business card sized flight plan form, I use it
all the time so I have all the info to give flight service. All I
really need to jot down is my takeoff time and enroute time that I
gave him when I filed (well, ok, my destination, but I usually do know
that). Works great and I dont have to bring any paperwork into the
FBO, just my wallet, which I always have.

It all depends on how exhaustive and organized YOU want to be. Do you
want to emulate the airlines, or just fly around with minimum hassle?
Or somewhere in between? I only file IFR if I need to, to get where I
am going. Some file IFR all the time.

So my suggestion, memorize an anacronym, get several 1/2 size
notepads, some pens or pencils, and business card flight plan form,
and you have the minimum necessary.