Old July 10th 08, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

Default Congested Area?

I would suggest that between the highway and the marina is congested. Beyond
the marina I see some oil farm tanks.. beyond that.. from this perspective
it appears to be "non-congested".. but you really can't tell until you get
closer.

I could find no firm definition of congested in FAR Part 1 or AIM.
Anyone else?

BT

"Dallas" wrote in message

What's your opinion, is this a congested area or not?

http://tinyurl.com/3okuon

My take is that this is an "other than congested area", but a recent
article in AOPA magazine discussing an FAA ruling gives congested area a
pretty broad definition.

I've been assuming "congested area" = pretty much wall to wall development
with streets being the best option for emergency landing.

"Other that congested area" = I took to mean that there are at least
several open areas at most times that you could bring an airplane down
into
without hitting any person or property.

--
Dallas