Old October 31st 06, 11:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roger (K8RI)

Default A disturbing statistic

On 30 Oct 2006 16:34:15 -0800, "Bill" wrote:

Here's a thought exercise that will get you in touch with this data.

1) How many people do you personally know that have been
wiped out in airplanes? (my answer--quite a few; way too many)

A few. I can only think of two that I knew personally.

2) How many people do you personally know that have been
wiped out in car accidents? (my answer--have to struggle to
remember more than a couple, one of whom was
ironically a pilot)

A bunch. I'd have to stretch my memory, but I can think of about 10
right now and about half of them were in the last 15 years.

3) How many more people do you know who drive than fly?
(personal answer: Many X)

Personally I know about 30 pilots. I know of about 70 locally. We
have about 50,000 drivers in the immediate area.

Might be more useful to compare flying to those who ride motorcycles.

When I got to the point I thought I knew what I was doing I sold mine.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com